Command & Conquer SAGA

Interview with Goodman / EACT

Command_%26_Conquer-Logo.png

When it comes to lead a Community or to support it, usually you count on help from a Community manager. In this case Apoc was the one who did this. But with Goodman a new Community Manager stepped into the light, who is known from many other titles such as Battleforge. And he brings along a high quality team that will now present themselves in an interview.

1280069940ea_logo_2_qjpreviewth.jpg

The interview was partly conducted with the EACT and not with Goodman himself. Therefor the interview is no direct reference to the person Goodman himself but more of an interview from EACT Germany.

[---]

[justify]Q: Due to the leaving of APOC there was a big hohle in the CnC Community.

How does it feel to get such an important position?

A: Apoc made a massive contribution to Command and Conquer, and its community in particular, there is no doubt about it, and he will be missed. Apoc´s departure has brought one chapter of the Command and Conquer story to a close; however a brand new chapter is slowly unfurling before your very eyes! Goodman, who has considerable experience with a number of different titles, has stepped into the fold and brings with him his Community Team. You may already have seen some of the Community Team hanging around the C&C forum. The likes of Battlem0th, Shadeshooter, Silvanoshi, and U-238 have all been spotted on the forum recently.

The entire Community Team is extremely excited to be working on Command and Conquer. The C&C community is legendary, the level of dedication the community has shown the series is way beyond that of the vast majority of games, and the myriad of thronging fan and mod sites truly demonstrates the level of commitment the fans devote to one of the most amazing series´ in gaming history.

Q: Please tell us something about yourself

A: For this question we´ll have each of the members of the Community Team tell us a little bit about themselves.

Battlem0Th: I'm from Germany and have been a part of the Community Team since late last year. So far I manage community related works in the BattleForge, Lord of Ultima and Battlefield Heroes Community Forums. Now with the C&C franchise we expect a hot and nice community we can look into.

Shadeshooter: Hey all, I'm ShadeShooter or in the "real life" I am known as Adam. I'm mainly known around EA's Play4Free titles such as Battlefield Heroes and Lord of Ultima. Since I´m usually not that great with introductions, I will leave you with a link to my profile that will probably answer most questions that may crop up: http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=68478

Silvanoshi: Hailing from Ireland, Silvanoshi has been with the Community Team for about 1 year now. For the most part he is a jovial, laid back, and helpful character. However should someone step out of line, all of his mighty Leprechaun powers shall be brought to bear. No one shall be spared...no one.

U-238: I am the guy who barks orders at everyone and has to be right ALL the time. When I´m not being stubborn and a pain I am your typical big jolly fellow, I TRY to crack jokes endlessly and it is hard to catch me not laughing or at least smiling. If I´m not working I am usually busy pretending that I´m not working while I actually am :P. Oh and I love lolcats and chiptunes.You can find out a little bit more about me here.

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=68473

Q: You are the new C&C Community Manger, what do you do for EA besides?

A: The Community Team as a whole currently deals with a number of EA titles. Besides Command and Conquer, we work on Battlefield Heroes, Lord of Ultima and BattleForge.

Q: Is it hard to cover all the things you face while working for EA?

A: Heheh, it´s not always a walk in the park. We have quite a bit of ground to cover, but we put in the effort and get everything done J.

Q: Was it hard to find your way into the Command and Conquer Community?

A: No not at all, naturally the community was sad to see Apoc leave, but they seem to be happy that a replacement Community Managment setup was waiting in the wings, particularly one that has quite a bit of experience behind it. So far we have been welcomed with open arms on the forum.

Q: What do you think about the Command and Conquer szene and community?

Is there any difference to other games?

A: The Command and Conquer community is pretty darn impressive. As it stands now most of those active in the community show a near unrivalled level of dedication to the games and the series. We reckon it will be possible to take this excellent foundation and build up it substantially; sharing what is already a great community experience with even more people. With regards differences, well the one obvious one is the modding scene within the Command and Conquer community, it seems to be a thriving one and something which truly adds another level to the C&C gameplay and community participation.

cc1i.png

Q: What do you think is going to happen with the brand of Command and Conquer?

A: Command and Conquer is a household name, we´re confident that the name will remain as strong as it has been since 1995.

Q: What do you think about EALA? How are the circumstances there, and your colleagues?

A: EALA is a great studio. Things are fine there, nothing has burned down and everybody is safe J.

Q: How important is the concant to fans and the fansites?

A: We have the utmost of respect for fansites. Anyone that is willing to put in the effort to build or help run a fansite has our support.

Q: Would you call each game you´re working at the same or are there any differences? Is there anything you´d call unique about the CnC franchise?

A: No, the games we work on most definitely aren´t the same. Battlefield Heroes is a Third Person Shooter with a very distinct styling. Lord of Ultima is one of the most advanced Online Strategy Games available today, and BattleForge is pretty much unique, it´s a Real Time Strategy, Trading Card Game hybrid. There are plenty of things unique about the C&C franchise, far too many to list. If we were forced to choose we´d have to go simply for the history that Command and Conquer has behind it. When you work with the game, that is something that is very much on your mind.

Q: What do you do in your freetime? What are your hobbies?

A: Again, we´ll have a little comment from each of the Community Team members here.

Battlem0Th: In my free time I love playing computer games. I like the Battlefield franchise a lot and do like the old C&C titles. Actually I like to be outside, go sailing on "my" lake, or just go to the park and hang out with my friends.

Shadeshooter: I troll...no seriously hehe. Nah I pretty much write stories in my free-time as well as play games upon steam with friends, another hobby I have is throwing a bouncy ball against the wall...strange but somehow quite relaxing and helps with training the reflexes and to get rid of "writer's block"...by the way, bouncy ball to the face really hurts!

Silvanoshi: Once unchained from his desk at the end of each day, the wild Silvanoshi enjoys watching TV and playing computer games to wind down and relax. He is a picky one though, there are only a few TV shows he will watch, and his gaming habits are restricted to the PC, the only way to play games as far as he is concerned. The wild Silvanoshi is also known to listen to long haired/beardy men bellowing, beating pieces of metal and stretched animal hide, and pushing on strings bound to pieces of wood.

U-238: When I'm not working I spend most of my time doing 3 things.

Gaming - Currently playing (Battlefield Heroes, Borderlands, Beat Hazard, Just Cause 2 and Dante's Inferno)

Listening to and Playing Music - I love listening to music and I also play the Guitar and the Keyboard.

Reading Scientific research documents - I recently looked into the similarities between the brains of mammals and birds. "You're a bird brain" is not as insulting as you may think ;)

Q: Do you want to say anything to the CnC Community?

We sure do. We are looking forward to working with the community and becoming more involved with it as time passes, continuing to provide the same level of support that Apoc for community initiatives previously.

-> german version: http://www.cncsaga.de/foren/viewtopic.php?id=679[/justify]

VERSION FRANÇAISE, PAR CYANN (ET NON GOOGLE TRAD)

Quand il faut mener une communauté ou la soutenir, on fait généralement appel à un Community Manager. Dans notre cas, il s'agissait d'Apoc. Mais maintenant c'est Goodman qui remplit ce rôle, connu pour l'assumer pour quelques autres jeux comme Battleforge. Il est accompagné de toute une équipe qui va se présenter dans cette interview.

L'interview a été réalisée avec la EACT et pas seulement Goodman lui-même.

La démission d'Apoc a laissé un gros trou dans la communauté CnC. Que-ce que ça vous fait ressentir d'occuper désormais ce poste important ?

Apoc a beaucoup contribué à Command and Conquer et en particulier à sa communauté, il n'y a aucun doute là-dessus. Son départ a fermé un chapitre de l'histoire de CnC, et un nouveau commence maintenant, sous vos yeux. Goodman a accumulé beaucoup d'expérience au cours de son travail sur des titres très différents, et est accompagné d'une Community Team. Vous avez dû voir quelques-un de ses membres sur le forum officiel. Ce sont BattlemOth, Shadeshooter, Silvanoshi et U-238.

Toute l'équipe est très excitée à l'idée de travailler sur Command and Conquer. La communauté CnC est légendaire, leur motivation a montré que la série allait bien au-delà de la majorité des autres jeux, et la myriade de fansites et de mods CnC démontre vraiment à quel point les fans sont dévoués à une des meilleures séries de l'histoire du jeu vidéo.

Vous pouvez vous présenter ?

Pour cette question, chacun des membres de la Community Team va répondre.

BattlemOth : Je viens d'Allemagne et fais partie de l'équipe depuis un an. Jusque là, je dirigeais les travaux liés à la communauté sur les forums de BattleForge, Lord of Ultima et Battlefield Heroes.

Shadeshooter : Salut tout le monde, je suis ShadeShooter, ou Adam dans la vie réelle. Je suis surtout connu dans les jeux Play4Free d'EA comme BattleForge et Lord of Ultima. Comme je ne vois pas trop comment me présenter, je vous laisse un lien vers mon profil qui devrait répondre à à peu près toutes vos questions :

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=68478

Silvanoshi : Venant d'Irlande, Silvanoshi est dans l'équipe depuis à peu près un an. C'est quelqu'un de jovial, détendu et prêt à aider tout le monde. Toutefois, si quelqu'un sort du rang, il déchaînera ses pouvoirs de Leprechaun [NDT : créature fantastique irlandaise. Petite, trapue, vit dans des chênes je crois. Petit homme tout de vert vêtu fabriquant des pipes et se nourrissant de glands je crois.]... Nul ne sera épargné... personne.

U-238 : Je suis le gars qui gueule les ordres aux autres et doit être OK TOUT le temps. Mais je blague sans cesse et c'est difficile de ne pas me trouver en train de rire ou au moins de sourire. Quand je ne travaille pas, je suis généralement occupé à faire croire que je ne travaille pas alors que je travaille :P [NDT : WTF ? :lol:] Sinon j'aime les lolcats et les chiptunes [NDT : musique cheap des ordinateurs années 80-90.]. Vous en trouverez un peu plus sur moi ici :

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=68473

Cela a-t-il été difficile de vous intégrer dans la communauté CnC ?

Non, parce que (naturellement) la communauté était triste de voir Apoc partir, et ils m'ont eu l'air heureux de voir qu'un nouveau Community Manager était déjà dans les startings-blocks, et qu'il avait de l'expérience.

Que pensez-vous de la scène CnC et de sa communauté ? Sont-t-elles différentes de celles des autres jeux ?

La communauté CnC est assez impressionnante. Actuellement, ses membres actifs font pour la plupart preuve d'une motivation inégalée. Nous pensons qu'il est possible de reprendre ces excellentes fondations pour y construire substantiellement ; partager une communauté déjà grande avec encore plus de gens. En ce qui concerne les différences, la plus évidente est la scène des mods CnC, il y en a une myriade et c'est vraiment quelque chose qui approfondit le gameplay CnC et la participation de la communauté.

Selon vous, que va-t-il arriver à la licence CnC ?

CnC reste un nom connu, je suis confiant en son avenir et je pense qu'il restera aussi connu qu'il l'a été depuis 1995.

Que pensez-vous d'EALA ? Comment ça va là-bas ?

EALA est un grand studio. Rien n'a brûlé et tout le monde est en sécurité.

Pour vous, quelle est l'importance des fans et de leurs sites ?

Nous avons un respect total des fansites. Nous soutenons quiconque qui essaie d'enrichir ou de créer un fansite.

Y'a-t-il des différences entre les jeux pour lesquels vous travaillez ? Est-ce que la franchise CnC a quelque chose que vous diriez unique ?

Non, les jeux sur lesquels nous travaillons sont radicalement différents. Battlefield Heroes est un jeu de tir à la troisième personne au style très marqué, Lors of Ultima est l'un des jeux de stratégie en ligne les plus avancés du moment, et BattleForge est assez unique. C'est un hybride de RTS et de jeu de cartes à collectionner. Il y a beaucoup de choses d'uniques dans la franchise CnC, beaucoup trop pour les lister ici. Si je devais en choisir une, ce serait l'histoire des CnC. Quand on travaille dessus, c'est quelque chose qu'on a toujours à l'esprit.

Que faites-vous pendant votre temps libre ? Avez-vous des hobbies ?

Chacun va répondre.

BattlemOth : Pendant mon temps libre, j'adore jouer à des jeux sur PC. J'aime beaucoup les Battlefield et vraiment les anciens CnC. Sinon, j'aime aussi vraiment naviguer sur "mon" lac, ou juste aller au parc et sortir avec des amis.

Shadeshooter : Je trolle... non, sérieusement, héhé. Non, en fait pendant mon temps libre j'écris quelques histoires, et je joue à quelques jeux avec des amis en utilisant Steam. Un autre de mes hobbies est de balancer et de faire rebondir une balle contre un mur... bizarre mais assez relaxant, ça entraîne les réflexes et permet même d'éviter le "blocage de l'écrivain" [NDT : "le syndrome de la page blanche" en expression française]... BTW, se prendre la balle en pleine face fait très mal par contre !

Silvanoshi : Une fois libéré de son bureau, le Silvanoshi sauvage aime regarder la télévision et jouer à des jeux PC pour se détendre et se relaxer. En revanche, il est exigeant et il ne regardera que quelques émissions, et ne joue que sur PC, le seul vrai moyen de jouer à un jeu vidéo (ses propos n'engagent que lui). Le Silvanoshi sauvage aime aussi écouter les rugissements d'hommes poilus et barbus, frappant des pièces de métal et des peaux d'animaux tendues, et malmenant des cordes de métal accrochées à du bois.

U-238 : Quand je ne travaille pas, en général je :

- joue (en ce moment : Battlefield Heroes, Borderlands, Beat Hazard, Just Cause 2 et Dante's Inferno)

- écouter et jouer de la musique, j'adore écouter de la musique, je joue aussi de la guitare et du synthétiseur

- lire des documents scientifiques, je me suis récemment intéresse aux ressemblances des cerveaux des mammifères et des oiseaux. "Cervelle de moineau" n'est pas si insultant en fait.

Voulez-vous dire quelque chose à la communauté CnC ?

Bien sûr. Nous prévoyons de travailler plus avec la communauté qu'auparavant, et aussi s'impliquer plus, tout en continuer à maintenir le soutien que fournissait Apoc.

[---]

Il ne parle même pas de CnC 4, bienvenue au merveilleux monde des lapins roses et de la communauté CnC. C'est joli toutes ces flatteries mais CnC 4 a presque TUE notre communauté et a sali le nom de CnC. -_- Croyez-le, CnC et EALA ne sont jamais allés aussi bien...

He doesn't even talk about CnC 4, welcome to the wonderful world of pink rabbits and the CnC community. All those pretty words are kind, but CnC 4 almost KILLED our community and soiled the CnC name. -_- Believe him, CnC and EALA were never so healthy...

Edited by Cyann -Black Dawn

EALA est un grand studio. Rien n'a brûlé et tout le monde est en sécurité.

LOL encore heureux que rien n'ait brûlé, calisse, il doit rester la moitié du monde. Ho wait, non, ils ont engagé des petits salariés et des employés juniors sous-payés pour remplacer leur ancien staff...

c'est du blabla insipide et mensonger, comme d'hab.

Je dois dire que je suis majoritairement d'accord avec cette affirmation.

Je reprends ta traduction Cyann et je mets en news, et je verrouille le topic.

Au vu du peu d'actualité qu'on a sur C&C vu que tout le studio a été viré, et que tout le monde est en vacances, je pense que même si c'est du bla bla, ça mérite une news.